Tuesday 17 July 2007

Interview With The Sultan

After 23 years, you'd think someone would realise when his time is up. If after 23 years you are unable to 'turn it around', what does that say? With all due respect Your Highness, I hope there will changes in our lifetime, and not another 23 years.

Here's a very good interview by Rizal Hashim. Taken from The Malay Mail.

‘I’m not a quitter’
Massive overhaul, reforms and inquiries were some of the key words used as FA of Malaysia president Sultan Ahmad Shah vowed yesterday not to bow to public pressure in the wake of the national team’s atrocious performance in the ongoing 14th AFC Asian Cup.

Mailsport’s RIZAL HASHIM was at TUDM Subang to pose questions to the Pahang ruler.

Mailsport (MS): Is it true, Tuanku, that you intend to follow your son Tengku Abdullah ’s decision to quit FAM?

Sultan Ahmad Shah (SAS): No, I don’t intend to run away from my responsibilities. I’m not going to abandon ship. In fact, we promise to conduct an inquiry into the team’s performance in the Asian Cup. There will be changes. I will personally look into the issue and chair a committee that is tasked to discuss the future of Malaysia football.

MS: What are the drastic changes, Tuanku?

SAS: Not drastic. We will demand the coach (Norizan Bakar) and team manager Datuk Anifah Aman submit a detailed report immediately after the game against Iran (tomorrow). I have been keeping quiet because I have been away, attending to my son’s education, but people seemed to think that I do not know what has been happening .

MS: Tuanku’s thoughts on Tengku Abdullah ’s resignation.

SAS: It was breaking news to me. But he had informed me earlier of his intention to quit during the annual general meeting in September. If he’s happy, what can I do?

MS: The public has been baying for FAM’s blood, Tuanku.

SAS: When the team were preparing for the tournament, I was away. I did not watch the defeats to China and Uzbekistan. But I was upset, just like the fans. We were badly beaten. It was embarrassing. But I urge the public to continue supporting the team. The committee comprising myself, the deputy president (Datuk Redzuan Sheikh Ahmad), and vice-presidents (Datuk Raja Ahmad Zainuddin Raja Omar and Datuk Anifah) will find new ways to push for reforms.

MS: What can we expect from the FAM Congress in September?

SAS: It is up to the delegates to nominate their candidates, who are the deputy presidents, or the vice-presidents. It’s their prerogative.

MS: What about Tuanku?

SAS: As I said, it’s up to the delegates, I’m ready, willing and able if they want me. I took over as president (from Tan Sri Hamzah Abu Samah) in 1984 and I made FAM a rich organisation. We gave out grants to the State FAs to keep the game alive.

MS: But today, the reality is different. FAM ’s main sponsor Telekom Malaysia pledge RM8.5 a year as opposed to Dunhill’s annual sponsorship of RM30 million those days.

SAS: We are still alive and well, strong physically and mentally. Like I said earlier, we are not going to run away from our responsibility. We are fighters and we will fight for betterment. Something concrete must be done.

MS: How does FAM intend to attract sponsors, Tuanku? And is it true FAM is scraping the bottom of the barrel?

SAS : We are not financially in dire straits. We have enough money to run our activities. As the finance committee chairman, I should know. Don’t worry. We know how to source for sponsorship. I can’t reveal to you how, but we have our ways.

MS: Is Tuanku satisfied with the way the FAM secretariat is administered daily?

SAS: I’m not there, so I wouldn’t know. The daily affairs, we leave it to the secretariat.

MS: The two previous general secretaries —Datuk Paul Mony Samuel and Datuk Dell Akbar Khan —would keep Tuanku informed on FAM’s daily matters. Is the current general secretary Datuk Seri Ibrahim Saad applying the same style?

SAS: Each has his own management style. Datuk Paul has his own, Datuk Dell his way and Datuk Seri Ibrahim, his way of doing things.

MS: Is it true that Ibrahim is resigning from his post, Tuanku?

SAS: He has written to me, asking us not to extend his contract which ends next month. I will write back to him. He has done a good job.

MS: The rakyat’s sentiments against FAM are hostile, Tuanku.

SAS: That’s normal. It comes with the territory. As president, I have to be receptive to constructive criticism. In life, we cannot expect bouquets all the time. When you are alive, nobody will praise you. When you die, there will only be good words for you. I don’t ask for praise, and I have always adopted an open policy with regard to constructive criticism.

MS: The team have been atrocious, Tuanku.

SAS: Yes, we created the semi-pro league to inject interest in the game, we wanted it to become an industry which will create jobs and livelihoods for many people.

Millions have been spent, and in return, we wanted the players to give something back. The returns have been poor. That is why we have to perform a general overhaul.

MS: Tuanku had indicated to quit FAM a few times before this.

SAS: That’s true. But I’m not going to leave if the issues are not resolved. I’m not a coward. I’m a fighter. I live by the maxim bertelingakan tempayan, berhatikan batu (ears of a martavan jar, heart of rock).

MS: Some say the journey to full recovery is long and an arduous one, Tuanku.

SAS: Naturally. The Malaysia Plan too has reached its ninth phase. It will take time.

MS: Would Tuanku agree if football is made a national agenda which will require the involvement of all parties?

SAS: When the time comes, we have to think about it. FAM has its own mechanism to deal with it. But Malaysia has lots of intelligent people, men and women who are active in sports. If they want to do it, by all means. This is a democratic country. May God bless t hem.

MS: Tuanku, what about the State FAs who are keeping mum? After all, the players are the products of the system laid out by the affiliates, but FAM is bearing the brunt.

SAS: That’s normal. The State FAs are never wrong, only FAM is to be blamed. But they are also part of FAM. When we have the meeting soon, we will discuss this.

MS: There have been suggestions that Malaysia open its doors to naturalised citizens to represent the country as a short-term measure towards revival, Tuanku?

SAS: It ’s not my style. I’m proud of my own people. Why should we allow others to deprive true and genuine Malaysians from representing Malaysia? Our rakyat are still capable of excelling in sports. Why should we give it to others?

MS: Will Tuanku watch the match against Iran on Wednesday (tomorrow)?

SAS: That’s a good idea. I will try. I’m also busy with my State, but I will try.

No comments: